Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Social Networking (Whine and Cheese)

I've entered the world of social networking by joining MySpace (which I mentioned a while ago), Twitter, Facebook, and ShoutLife. I can tell you now each has their own unique qualities, and I think I'll be happy with all of them.

I do have difficulties with each of them, but that's mainly due to my own personality and lack of understanding of social networking. MySpace still intimidates me, but I think I can navigate it fairly easily. ShoutLife's platform is similar to MySpace but less intimidating to me. I still need to figure out if I can use the same layout on ShoutLife that I use on MySpace. Twitter is probably the easiest to use, if I had something to say fairly often, but I'm not that interesting a person (at least I don't think I am). I still don't understand Facebook. I've figure out groups (sort of) and I know how to update my page, but how do you find people who share your interests without joining a billion groups?

My biggest problem with everywhere but ShoutLife is a lack of friends. I'm doing okay on Twitter, but I can always use more followers. My friends list on MySpace is pretty pathetic (I think I have 6). I'm so lonely on Facebook. I have no friends at all, *sniff, sniff*. ShoutLife has been the friendliest site so far. Everyone has been so welcoming and friendly. In the few days since I joined (I set up my account over the weekend), I've received over fifty friend requests, welcome messages, and even one group invitation from all kinds of people. I think that warm welcome is part of what makes ShoutLife less intimidating than MySpace.

Okay, now that you all know I'm a little inept when it comes to social networking sites, here's an invitation for you. Come find me (search for E.A. West) on any of the sites I've mentioned and send me a friend request. Let me know how you found me, and I'll add you to my friend list. In the case of Twitter, I'll become one of your followers.

Now, for a change of subject. Since Thursday is Thanksgiving, I'll post again on Friday. I'll be busy with family on Thrusday. Have a happy Thanksgiving and think about the things you're thankful for. I'll post my list Friday.

No comments: