Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Homeschooling and Publishing...

I know, the title sounds like two completely unrelated things. But in my experience, they kind of go hand in hand. I was homeschooled through high school graduation and I became a writer thanks to a creative writing class put on by a homeschool mom. Since then, I've learned a lot about editing and in January of this year, I finally achieved my goal of becoming an editor.

In the past couple of years, I've noticed something. I'm far from the only writer or editor connected to homeschooling. I know of at least two editors who are also homeschoolers and I've run into countless writers who homeschool. Is there some peculiar phenomenon that draws homeschoolers into the publishing world? Perhaps it's the love of books. I have yet to meet a homeschooler who doesn't love books. Some of the most avid readers I've met in my lifetime were homeschoolers or homeschooled kids.

It would be interesting to know if there's any research on the connection between homeschooling and the publishing industry. I wonder, are there any other careers with a high incidence of homeschoolers? If you know of one, let me know. This has really piqued my curiosity.

No comments: