Monday, March 31, 2008

Ouch

Word of advice: Don't sprain your back when you have a 2-year-old to care for. It's not fun. All I can say is thank goodness for grandmas. She's a lifesaver, since I can't pick the kid up today. About the only good thing is that I have a good excuse to lie around and catch up on that reading I've been wanting to do.

I finished a Mary Daheim novel last night. The Alpine Recluse is my new favorite novel by her. In the midst of trying to figure out who the real killer is, town newspaper publisher Emma Lord is also trying to solve the mystery of Old Nick, one of the hermits living in the woods. My only complaint about the book is that Daheim didn't give a satisfactory conclusion to a situation in Emma's life. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is. You'll have to read the book to find out. I suppose it's all right, though, since The Alpine Recluse is part of a series. The situation probably comes into play in the next book.

This morning, I started The Dream by Gilbert Morris. I must say, I was a little surprised to discover that the main character is only seventeen. I'm not used to a seventeen-year-old MC in an adult novel, but I like it. So far, the story has grabbed my attention and kept me turning the pages. I probably wouldn't have put the book down until I finished it, except I had to go fix some lunch. I'm not particularly surprised that I got drawn into The Dream so easily. Gilbert Morris is an awesome author, and I almost always lose myself in his novels.

Now, before you think I'm taking a complete vacation from anything resembling work (a tempting thought, I admit), I'm in the process of figuring out how to add a character to the historical piece I started last week. I realized yesterday that I needed her many pages back from where I left off. How I didn't realize I needed her, I'll never know, but now I have to figure out exactly where to add her in. I've got her personality figured out pretty well, but I'm just not sure how she's going to interact with a couple of other characters.

Sigh. Such is the life of a writer. I love it!

I wish all of you well in your own writing/submitting adventures. Happy writing!

No comments: