Monday, March 24, 2008

Expanding Your Writing Horizons

Ever feel like you're stuck in a writing rut? Have you been writing the same type of story for the last ten years? Maybe it's time to try something new. A little change can give new life to your writing and bring the excitement back.

I'm currently attempting a new type of writing myself. Yes, I'm having to do some research to keep the facts straight, but it's a topic that's fascinated me for a long time. The research is almost as enjoyable as writing the story. Some of what I've learned has given me ideas to help the story along. It's also made me have to go back and rewrite a little. That's one of the hazards of writing the story and doing the research for it at the same time.

For those who are more organized than me, this won't be a problem. You'll get an idea for your story, then do the research, and THEN start writing. As a seat-of-the-pants writer, I'm used to doing research as needed during the writing process. It works great most of the time, because I usually stick to one genre. With this new story, however, I have to learn a ton of stuff so the seat-of-the-pants method isn't the most efficient way for me to do things. Ah, well. I'm getting used to rewrites.

So, if you're bored with writing the same old thing in yet another way, try something new. If you usually write historical romance, maybe you could try your hand at a contemporary mystery. Or if you write contemporary mysteries, attempt a fantasy. Expand your horizons and see where you're writing takes you. You just might discover a new favorite genre.

Happy writing!

No comments: