Thursday, December 18, 2008

When it's cold outside...

...hope for snow. I love snow, as anyone who knows me can tell you. The other thing they can tell you is that I hate ice. It scares the daylights out of me when I hear an ice storm is headed my way. I've been through too many ice storms that have knocked out my power for two or more days. I don't mind power outages in warm weather, but if there's ice that means it's really cold. No power means no heat. No heat means I'm freezing my toes off. What I wouldn't give for a fireplace, wood burning stove, or pellet stove. I have a kerosene heater, so I won't freeze to death, but kerosene reeks. I'd much rather smell woodsmoke.

Okay, enough whining. If my power goes out with the ice that's coming tonight, it shouldn't be out too long (I hope). It's supposed to be close to fifty tomorrow with rain that will help melt the ice off the power lines.

Now, for something I found this morning that appeals to my sometimes warped sense of humor. Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as funny if the cow had been injured, but the cow apparently wasn't hurt. According to an Associated Press article, a British pilot making an emergency landing hit a cow. Thanks to that article, I found a video that shows it. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. For those of you animal lovers out there (like me), don't worry. The official report says the cow was "apparently uninjured."

Have a wonderful and warm weekend! If you decide to go flying, watch out for cows. They can be hard on your plane.

No comments: