Monday, April 14, 2008

Website Woes

I've decided it's time for me to finally create a website. Don't get too excited yet. I don't have a link to give you, because I don't actually have the site set up. I know who's hosting it, though, so it's all good.

Until I started on this adventure (over the weekend), I never realized just what creating a site entails. I knew I needed a design and some content, but I figured it would be easy to just throw a few things together and make it look pretty. Those of you who have already created your sites can stop laughing at me now. Trust me, an hour into planning I realized just how much work throwing those things together will take. And making it pretty? Yeah, that's going to take come time too.

I recently downloaded Open Office and learned that I can create web pages with it. I have a scheme I love, but I haven't figured out how to link anything to my pretty buttons. I also haven't figured out why I can't change anything after I save the file. I'll have to get my computer-savvy brother to explain that one to me. It's cool that I can design my own website, but it'll be even cooler when I can make it work.

The content is another big task. I've got a few articles I can throw on there and ideas for a couple more. I'm planning to post a few excerpts so people can get a feel for my writing, and I'll create a links page. The hardest part of all of this isn't know what kind of content to include, it's figuring out the specific links, excerpts, etc. to put on each page. Then there's the bio... I hate writing bios, but I've done it enough that I can come up with something good.

I'm hoping that once I get the site put together (and working!) that it will be fairly simple to maintain. This initial, time-consuming creation stage is a little overwhelming at times, but I quickly learned to break it down into manageable chunks. Just like when I have to rewrite a story. The task as a whole may look like an impossible challenge, but once I start looking at each component, I realize it may be complex, but it's far from impossible. Sometimes, it turns out to be remarkably easy. I know that's what's happened with parts of creating a website. Other parts, like not being able to link anything and being unable to change stuff after saving, are a challenge I look forward to conquering.

I'll post a link to the site just as soon as it's up and running, whenever that may be. In the meantime, happy writing!

No comments: