Thursday, January 3, 2008

Brainstorming

Writing is a solitary pursuit, but there are times when brainstorming with others is helpful. I was reminded of that today. I had an idea for a scene, but no clue how my characters got into that situation. After lots of discussion and laughter with my brother and sister, I have a complete scene. Most of what we discussed wasn't necessarily good or even useful. But all of it led to other ideas and all of that snowballed into what I needed. The added benefit was having fun. Every writer will tell you that writing can get lonely sometimes. When you include others in the process, it relieves the loneliness and can provide ideas you might never have come up with on your own. There have been many times when I've gotten stuck on a story, but a quick conversation about the problem with someone else gives me the solution I needed.

When you're struggling with your writing, ask questions of people you trust. Seek advice on how others would react in a certain situation. Discuss the story with someone and see if the writing is the problem or if it's the idea. I've had times when I doubted a story I was working on. After discussing it with a trusted confidant, I usually come to the conclusion that idea is good. The way I'm writing it may need to be rethought, but once I know the plot is good, ideas for rewriting usually follow. And the rewritten project is even better than the original.

Don't get discouraged with your writing. If the mere thought of working on a particular project is enough to bring you to tears, set it aside and work on something else. Don't be afraid to ask a friend or family member for help if you get stuck in a scene. Always remember to take a little time to just relax and have fun. When you come back to your writing, you'll be refreshed and maybe have fresh ideas to work with. Most of all, keep writing and learning, and someday you'll reach your goals.

No comments: